This post may contain compensated links. Please refer to my disclosure here for more information.
In episode 38 of the UK Travel Planning Podcast, we have a chat with fellow expat Karen from SmartStepstoAustralia.com all about British foods. This includes everything from customs and language around food to types of places to eat out, how to save money on your food budget and we hopefully inspire you to add some new foods to your list of things to try.
Click the blue button below to listen:
Episode 38 – Show Notes
British Bites: A tasty Introduction to some of Britain’s most iconic foods
In this episode, you will learn about:
- Sunday roasts and carveries
- Typical British hot puddings
- Fish and chips with scraps (bad for you but oh-so-tasty!)
- What’s included in a fried ‘Full English’ or ‘Full Scottish’ breakfast
- How to order food in a pub
- Whether you need to book a table in advance
- Favourite take aways in the UK
- Bakery snack food like sausage rolls, Scotch eggs, cheese straws, pork pies and Cornish Pasties
- Marmite versus Vegemite (Marmite rules!)
- London delicacies like jellied eels and pie and mash with liquor
- Ordering tea and coffee in the UK
- Dealing with food allergies
- Meal deals to save you money
- Chain restaurants in the UK
- Different words for the humble bread roll in various locations around the UK
Places mentioned in this episode include
- Upton Fish and Chip Shop in rural Lincolnshire – a unique, coal-fired fish and chip shop that only opens twice a week (be prepared to wait as there is usually a long line, and as you’re waiting outside be sure to wrap up warm in winter!)
- Makars Gourmet Mash Bar – a famous, award-winning restaurant in Edinburgh
- St Agnes Bakery for pasties, sausage rolls and cream teas in Cornwall
- The Cornish Bakery – found at Gunwharf Quays in Portsmouth and various locations around the UK (and highly recommended by Karen’s husband who is an expert pasty-eater!)
⭐️ A PDF transcript of this episode is available to download here
Check out the following articles too:
Related podcast episodes
- Episode #37 – 6 week family adventure from Australia to the UK with Karen (this episode features even more discussions about food from Karen’s recent UK trip!)
Subscribe and review
If you have found our Podcast helpful please leave us a review! We really appreciate your support and it will help make our podcast visible to a greater audience.
Please subscribe so you don’t miss any future episodes!
🇬🇧 Plan your trip to the UK 🇬🇧
We are here to help you plan your trip to the UK – wherever you are heading in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland. Our step by step guide to planning your trip and our itinerary planning challenge are great places to start. Join our free UK and London Travel Planning group on Facebook and chat with other travellers planning (or recently returned) from the UK.
Subscribe and receive our monthly news with travel tips and special offers plus podcast updates. Click here to subscribe!