This post may contain compensated links. Please refer to my disclosure here for more information.
In episode 37 of the UK Travel Planning Podcast, we chat with Karen from SmartStepstoAustralia.com about her first trip back to the UK after living in Australia for over eight years. Karen travelled with her husband and three kids who were 10, 12 and 12 and toured the UK for six weeks visiting friends and family.
Click the blue button below to listen:
Episode 37 – Show Notes
Trip Report: A 6 Week Family Adventure from Australia to the UK
In this episode, you will learn:
- Tips for flying with kids and overcoming jet lag
- A breakdown of Karen’s itinerary which included Portsmouth, London, Cornwall, Sheffield and Lincoln
- Transport tips including public transport, park and ride, dealing with train strikes, getting insured on a borrowed car and travelling on narrow Cornish roads
- Karen’s favourite UK foods and where to eat
- How to make the most of your visit to Harry Potter studios
- How to build ancestry research into your trip
- All about the family holiday resort, Butlins at Skegness
Places mentioned in this episode include
- Cornwall >> St Ives, Perranporth, hedgehog ice cream at Chapel Porth Beach Cafe (drive down there if brave!), St Agnes Bakery for pasties and cream teas
- Sheffield >> Cathedral, galleries, winter gardens, theatres, Sheffield cemetery records. More info at Visit Sheffield
- Lincoln >> Cathedral (don’t forget to search for the Lincoln Imp hiding in the cathedral somewhere!), Lincoln Castle (walk the walls, view one of only four copies of the Magna Carta, outdoor shows in summer), Steep Hill (be prepared, it is steep!) and half an hour away you can find Sherwood Forest and see the Major Oak – Robin Hood’s tree. Karen’s favourite childhood restaurant, Damons, can be found in either Lincoln or Sheffield.
- Skegness >> Butlins (there are also Butlins resorts at Minehead and Bognor Regis with similar facilities)
⭐️ A PDF transcript of this episode is available to download here
Related podcast episodes
- Episode #34 – An introduction to Cornwall with Meneage Tours
- Episode #14 – Highlights and tips from our 12-week UK trip to England and Scotland (where Karen interviewed Tracy about her upcoming trip)
Subscribe and review
If you have found our Podcast helpful please leave us a review! We really appreciate your support and it will help make our podcast visible to a greater audience.
Please subscribe so you don’t miss any future episodes!
🇬🇧 Plan your trip to the UK 🇬🇧
We are here to help you plan your trip to the UK – wherever you are heading in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland. Our step by step guide to planning your trip and our itinerary planning challenge are great places to start. Join our free UK and London Travel Planning group on Facebook and chat with other travellers planning (or recently returned) from the UK.
Subscribe and receive our monthly news with travel tips and special offers plus podcast updates. Click here to subscribe!