In episode 39 of the UK Travel Planning Podcast, we chat with Marc from Northumberland Tours about all of the things you can do on your visit to Northumberland. We cover historic sights, wildlife, weather and so much more.
Click the blue button below to listen:
Episode 39 – Show Notes
Exploring Northumberland England with Marc of Northumberland Tours
In this episode, you will learn:
- What you can expect to see at the Farne Islands
- The importance of checking tide times for visits to Holy Island/Lindisfarne Castle
- How many stunning castles there are to explore in Northumberland
- What weather to expect in Northumberland
- How Northumberland is so much more than just Alnwick Castle
- Why Northumberland should be on your travel itinerary
Places mentioned in this episode include
- Alnwick Castle >> The iconic filming location for Harry Potter, Downton Abbey and more
- Holy Island >> A tidal island off the north east coast of England where you will find Lindisfarne Castle
- Bamburgh Castle >> A medieval castle dating back to the 11th century that overlooks the North Sea
- Warkworth Castle >> A ruined medieval castle overlooking the river River Coquet
- Farne Islands >> A group of 15 – 20 islands off the coast of Northumberland which are worth a visit for wildlife spotting
- Segedunum Museum Wallsend >> Visit this site that was built to guard the eastern end of Hadrian’s Wall and see the excavated fort and buildings
- Sycamore Gap >> One of the most photographed spots in the country!
- Housesteads Roman Fort >> Set on an escarpment on Hardian’s Wall, Housesteads Roman Fort gives you the opportunity to explore the remains of this ancient fortress
- Vindolanda >> Explore the excavated remains of this fort and enjoy the museum to learn about the important artefacts found there
- Dunstanburgh Castle >> Sitting in a dramatic coastal position, this is a magnificent example of an early 14th century castle
- Linhope Spout >> A spectacular waterfall that plunges 18m down the rock face
- Crammell Linn >> A pretty double waterfall where a rock splits the flow of water down the cliffside
⭐️ A PDF transcript of this episode is available to download here
We also have some useful planning resources on this website
- Email Marc to find out more about his tours: email@example.com
Related podcast episodes
- Episode #14 – Highlights and tips from our 12-week UK trip
Subscribe and review
If you have found our Podcast helpful please leave us a review! We really appreciate your support and it will help make our podcast visible to a greater audience.
Please subscribe so you don’t miss any future episodes!
🇬🇧 Plan your trip to the UK 🇬🇧
We are here to help you plan your trip to the UK – wherever you are heading in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland. Our step by step guide to planning your trip and our itinerary planning challenge are great places to start. Join our free UK and London Travel Planning group on Facebook and chat with other travellers planning (or recently returned) from the UK.
Subscribe and receive our monthly news with travel tips and special offers plus podcast updates. Click here to subscribe!