This post may contain compensated links. Please refer to my disclosure here for more information.
In episode 53 of the UK Travel Planning Podcast, Tracy Collins chats with her husband Doug about his recent day trip to the Isle of Wight.
And here’s a cherry on top, an exclusive discount code UKTPPODCAST to get US$10 off our essential London guide and itinerary planner eBook.
So, plug in your headphones and prepare to ace your London trip planning!
Click the blue button below to listen:
This episode of the UK Travel Planning Podcast is sponsored by Surfshark VPN.
Click this link to get up to 83% off your Surfshark purchase + two months for free with selected Surfshark plans
Episode 53 – Show Notes
Visiting the Isle of Wight (How to plan a day trip from London)
In this episode, you will learn:
- How Doug planned his day trip to the Isle of Wight from London
- How to get to the Isle of Wight
- The route Doug decided to take and the three different types of transport involved in his trip
- What travelling on a hovercraft was like (especially for somebody who usually gets seasick!)
- What public transport was like on the island and how bus tickets worked
- Doug’s experience visiting Osborne House and Carrisbrooke Castle
- The verdict – can you visit the Isle of Wight on a day trip from London?
Places mentioned in this episode include
- Places Doug visited – Osborne House Queen Victoria’s home on the Isle of Wight, and
- Carrisbrooke Castle, which has previously been an artillery fortress, king’s prison and a royal summer residence.
- Doug didn’t have time to go to – The Needles – this iconic landmark is a row of three stacks of chalk that rise above the sea and it has been developed into a tourist attraction with a range of activities to entertain the family.
- Travel options to the Isle of Wight – you can travel across the Solent from Lamington, Southampton or Portsmouth (Southsea). The Visit Isle of Wight lists all of the travel options.
- Places on the Isle of Wight that were mentioned – Ryde (the location where the hovercraft arrives and departs), Shanklin and Godshill Village (where you will find pretty thatched cottages).
- Bus services on the island – Southern Vectis is the bus company servicing the island and their website has lots of information including journey planners and ticket information.
⭐️ A PDF transcript of this episode is available to download here
We also have some useful planning resources on this website for
Related podcast episodes
- Episode 52 – Exploring North Wales: An introduction with Doug
- Episode 19 – Day trips from London
Subscribe and review
If you have found our Podcast helpful please leave us a review! We really appreciate your support and it will help make our podcast visible to a greater audience.
Please subscribe so you don’t miss any future episodes!
🇬🇧 Plan your trip to the UK 🇬🇧
We are here to help you plan your trip to the UK – wherever you are heading in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland. Our step by step guide to planning your trip and our itinerary planning challenge are great places to start. Join our free UK and London Travel Planning group on Facebook and chat with other travellers planning (or recently returned) from the UK.
Subscribe and receive our monthly news with travel tips and special offers plus podcast updates. Click here to subscribe!