This post may contain compensated links. Please refer to my disclosure here for more information.
Episode 13 – Trip report: A fun-filled family adventure in London
In this episode, our guest is Cheryl Ridpath Conway who has recently returned with her family from a whirlwind 5½ day trip to London. Cheryl created a fun-filled itinerary for her family which included some of London’s most popular attractions such as the Tower of London and Westminster Abbey, a day trip outside the capital, a photoshoot, a visit to Harry Potter Studios plus 2 walking tours.
Cheryl chats through how she prepared for their visit and designed an itinerary which suited her family’s interests after deciding to head to London with only 6 weeks to prepare.
Find out about their experiences visiting London in 2022 including reflections on the places they visited, tours they took, where they stayed, how they got around, best experiences and tips to help you make the most of your visit.
Click the blue button below to listen:
Episode 13 – Show Notes
Trip report: A fun-filled family adventure to London
Topics covered in this episode include:
- Background to the family trip to London, how long they spent and why they decided to visit London
- An overview of their 5½ day London itinerary
- How Cheryl planned the trip after deciding to visit with only 6 weeks to prepare
- Information about their daily itinerary including places visited
- Choosing a day trip from London and the advantages of taking a private driver-guide to visit Bath, Stonehenge and the Cotswolds
- Their family photoshoot
- Favourite places visited as a family (and Cheryl’s top 3 choices)
- How they got around London
- Which area of London they chose for accommodation
- Cheryl’s thoughts about Borough Market, the Tower of London and her favourite the Churchill War Rooms
- View from the Shard versus the view from the London Eye
- Walking tours taken during their visit – Harry Potter walking tour and a Jack the Ripper tour
- How much the family enjoyed a tour at the Globe theatre
- Cheryl’s number 1 tip for anyone planning to visit London for the first time
Places mentioned in this episode include
- Churchill War Rooms > Explore the secret underground headquarters where Winston Churchill lived and worked during WWII
- The London Eye > Observation wheel located on the south bank of the River Thames opposite Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament
- The Shard > The tallest building in the UK
- Big Ben > Nickname for the clock located at the north end of the Palace of Westminster
- Westminster Abbey > Gothic Abbey of the Anglican Church
- Borough Market > One of London’s most popular and historic food markets with eateries and fresh produce
- Covent Garden > A shopping and entertainment hub in London’s West End
- Tower of London > Historic castle on the banks of the River Thames
- Harry Potter Studios > Walkthrough exhibition and studio tour
- Stonehenge > Neolithic stone circle located in Wiltshire
- Bath > UNESCO World Heritage city
- Castle Combe in the Cotswolds > Quaint Cotswold village
- Abbey Road > Road in north London and location of famous music studios and the zebra crossing featured on the Beatles Abbey Road album
Some of Cheryl’s beautiful photos from the visit
- Cheryl booked the tour to Stonehenge, Bath and the Cotswolds with Oz from My Tailored Tours.
- Cheryl’s family photoshoot was with Jimmy of Flytographer we also recommend Dominique of Scalens Studios (quote UKTP10 at checkout for 10 extra shots free)
We also have some useful planning resources on this website for planning your London visit
Subscribe and review
If you have found our Podcast helpful please leave us a review! We really appreciate your support and it will help make our podcast visible to a greater audience.
Please subscribe so you don’t miss any future episodes!
🇬🇧 Plan your trip to the UK 🇬🇧
We are here to help you plan your trip to the UK – wherever you are heading in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland. Our step by step guide to planning your trip and our itinerary planning challenge are great places to start. Join our free UK and London Travel Planning group on Facebook and chat with other travellers planning (or recently returned) from the UK.
Subscribe and receive our monthly news with travel tips and special offers plus podcast updates. Click here to subscribe!