This post may contain compensated links. Please refer to my disclosure here for more information.
Ever dreamt of a UK train trip but don’t know where to start? We’ve got you covered. In episode 80 of the UK Travel Planning Podcast Tracy and Doug provide 12 practical tips to help you plan your UK rail adventure.
Tips include the importance of utilizing resources such as the Guide to UK Train Travel eBook and UK Travel Planning website which provide practical tips, itineraries, and information on navigating the rail network.
We also address the issue of cost, providing insights on how to save money on UK rail travel by utilizing rail passes and National Railcards. Discover tips for planning your itinerary including why methodical planning at the outset will avoid wasting time and doubling back during the trip.
We share essential tips to make train travel more enjoyable including travelling light, booking seats on long-distance journeys, and allowing ample time to catch trains at busy train stations and much much more!
Let this podcast be your ticket to an unforgettable UK train journey!
Click the blue button below to listen:
Episode 80 – Show Notes
How to plan a UK rail trip itinerary
Topics covered in this episode include:
- Check out the UK Train Travel ebook for practical tips and rail itineraries.
- Utilize the resources on this website including the dedicated section for train travel.
- Explore ways to save money on UK rail travel, such as rail passes and National Railcards.
- Plan your itinerary in a methodical, sequential way to avoid wasting time and money.
- Consider basing yourself in one or two locations, like London and Edinburgh, and take day trips by train.
- Travel light to make navigating trains and stations easier.
- Book seats for long distances or busy times, and avoid Sunday travel if possible.
- Arrive at the train station in plenty of time to catch your train and consider transportation to the station.
- Familiarize yourself with the train network, stations, and ticket purchasing process.
- Pay attention to train schedules and be prepared for delays or disruptions.
- Research and book accommodations near train stations for convenience.
- Stay informed about any changes or updates through National Rail Enquiries and relevant news channels.
Click here to download an AI-generated PDF Transcript of Episode 80
Subscribe and review
If you have found our Podcast helpful please leave us a review! We really appreciate your support and it will help make our podcast visible to a greater audience.
Please subscribe so you don’t miss any future episodes!
🇬🇧 Plan your trip to the UK 🇬🇧
We are here to help you plan your trip to the UK – wherever you are heading in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland. Our step by step guide to planning your trip and our itinerary planning challenge are great places to start. Join our free UK and London Travel Planning group on Facebook and chat with other travellers planning (or recently returned) from the UK.
Subscribe and receive our monthly news with travel tips and special offers plus podcast updates. Click here to subscribe!