Are you looking for accommodation in London? Not sure which area to choose to suit your budget and needs? In this guide, you will find all you need to know about the London neighbourhoods of South Bank, Southwark and Bankside including the best hotels and apartments
- What you need to know about the areas of South Bank, Southwark and Bankside
- Best hotels in Southwark, Bankside and South Bank
- Best Apartments in Southwark, Bankside and South Bank
- Other area guides for London
What you need to know about the areas of South Bank, Southwark and Bankside
Where are these areas located in London?
The areas of South Bank, Southwark and Bankside are all located south of the river Thames.
They are all located in Zone One of the London Underground.
What are South Bank, Southwark and Bankside like?
South Bank is London’s cultural and creative district full of history, culture, museums, architecture and foodie delights.
Take a stroll along the pedestrianised strip which runs along the river for over a mile. South Bank is home to many attractions including art galleries and museums.
There are excellent transport connections from South Bank including to the Bakerloo, Northern and Jubilee lines at Waterloo station.
What are the areas main attractions?
- Stroll the riverside walkway along South Bank from the London Eye to Tower Bridge passing the Tate Modern, the Millennium Footbridge, Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre, the Clink Prison Museum, and Borough Market.
- Enjoy the views from The Shard
- Eat your way around Borough Market
- Experience an immersive historical experience at the Golden Hinde ship or the Clink Museum.
- Visit the Imperial War Museum
- Enjoy a bite to eat at one of the many restaurants in the area including Skylon or the OXO Tower Brasserie and Restaurant
Who is the area best for?
South Bank, Bankside and Southwark are great areas for art and culture lovers, sightseers and foodies.
You will find accommodation to suit all budgets in this area of central London including the Shangri-La at the Shard one of the most luxurious hotels in London (and with a spectacular view the perfect option for those looking to splurge!)
Expect to pay £500 + a night for a double room in a 5-star luxury hotel such as the Shangri-La and around £150+ a night for budget options in South Bank, Southwark or Bank Side.
Best hotels in Southwark, Bankside and South Bank
Luxury – Shangri-La at the Shard
The Shangri-La brand is synonymous with high-end luxury and with fabulous views, a bar and an infinity pool located on the 52nd floor of the Shard this hotel certainly delivers.
Choose from 202 rooms and suites all with panoramic views of the city and featuring L’Occitane toiletries, bathrobes and slippers, high speed WiFi and minimum 40 inch LED televisions with a variety of international channels.
For sunset cocktails head to the hotel bar Gong (the highest bar in London) and relax whilst enjoying night fall over the city below.
Nearest Tube station – London Bridge (Northern and Jubilee lines)
Family – London Marriott Hotel County Hall
Located in South Bank the London Marriott Hotel County Hall enjoys enviable views of the London Eye and across the river Thames to the Palace of Westminster and Big Ben. County Hall is a Grade II listed building steeped in history offering guests a 5-star getaway in central London.
Rooms and suites feature luxury bedding, marble bathrooms and complimentary WiFi. Dine at the hotel’s Steakhouse and Bar and enjoy those stunning views after a busy day of sightseeing.
Nearest Tube station – Waterloo
Budget – Ruby Lucy Hotel London
The Ruby Hotel brand espouses the philosophy of “lean luxury” where luxury is defined as laid back comfort.
The Ruby Lucy is located on London’s bustling South Bank a ten-minute stroll to the sights of Big Ben, Westminster and the London Eye.
With good connections to public transport Gatwick and Heathrow airports are only 40 minutes away by train or underground.
Nearest Tube station – Waterloo
Best Apartments in Southwark, Bankside and South Bank
Book well in advance if you are looking for an apartment in London as they are a popular option for visitors to the capital.
Perfect for couples this one-bedroom apartment is perfectly located and offers free WiFi, a private bathroom and a washer.
With wonderful views over the Thames and located close to the Tate Museum, restaurants and coffee shops.
Other area guides for London
If you are still unsure if the areas of South Bank, Southwark and Bankside are perfect for your stay you will find my London Accommodation Guide offers more suggestions.
- Bloomsbury area guide – best hotels, apartments and airbnbs for your stay
- Mayfair, Marylebone and Oxford Street area guide – best hotels, apartments and airbnbs for your stay
- Westminster and St James – – best hotels, apartments and airbnbs for your stay