This post may contain compensated links. Please refer to my disclosure here for more information.
In episode 35 of the UK Travel Planning Podcast, we chat with guest Sally-Ann, co-founder with her husband Robert of private tour company North Coast Explorer Tours, to talk about visiting Far North Scotland. This is part one of a two-part podcast – look out for part two (episode 36) next week.
Click the blue button below to listen:
Episode 35 – Show Notes
An introduction to Far North Scotland with Sally-Ann of North Coast Explorer Tours
In this episode, you will learn
- How and why Sally-Ann and her husband relocated to Scotland
- What are the highlights of Far North Scotland and why you should add it to your itinerary
- Which parts of Scotland are classed as Far North Scotland
- What visitors can expect from a trip to Far North Scotland
- Why peatland landscapes are important ecologically
- What landscape and wildlife you can expect to see in the region and when to see it
- How to get to Far North Scotland
- What the seasons hold in Far North Scotland
- Planning your visit to Far North Scotland
- What to expect from the roads in Far North Scotland
- What is the North Coast 500 (including which direction to travel and how long you need)
Places mentioned in this episode include
- North Coast 500 >> The North Coast 500 is the ultimate circular road trip around the North of Scotland.
- UNESCO Geopark in the North West of Scotland >> This region hosts a range of diverse geological and geomorphological features
- Garvault Hotel >> Take a break off grid at Garvault House, set in the wilderness with uninterrupted views of the locks and hills
- Caledonian Sleeper from London >> Travel between London and Scotland on the comfortable overnight Caledonian Sleeper train.
- Inverness >> Located in the heart of the Scottish Highlands, Inverness is an important transport hub for the region.
- Orkney Islands >> An archipelago off the north-eastern coast of Scotland comprising of around 70 islands, 20 of which are inhabited.
- Thurso >> The most northerly town in mainland Scotland.
⭐️ A PDF transcript of this episode is available to download here
Books recommended by Sally-Ann
- North Coast 500 Guidebook by Charles Tate
- The North Coast Journey by Bridget Benson
Useful planning resources
- Find all of the UK Travel Planning Scotland resources here – UK Travel Planning Scotland Travel Guide
- Episode # 30 – Scottish road trip itinerary
- Episode # 10 – Driving the North Coast 500
- Episode # 21 – Top 10 experiences from our 12 week UK vacation
- Episode # 14 – Highlights of our 3 month trip around England and Scotland
- Episode #36 – Exploring Far North Scotland with North Coast Explorer Tours
Subscribe and review
If you have found our Podcast helpful please leave us a review! We really appreciate your support and it will help make our podcast visible to a greater audience.
Please subscribe so you don’t miss any future episodes!
🇬🇧 Plan your trip to the UK 🇬🇧
We are here to help you plan your trip to the UK – wherever you are heading in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland. Our step by step guide to planning your trip and our itinerary planning challenge are great places to start. Join our free UK and London Travel Planning group on Facebook and chat with other travellers planning (or recently returned) from the UK.
Subscribe and receive our monthly news with travel tips and special offers plus podcast updates. Click here to subscribe!