This post may contain compensated links. Please refer to my disclosure here for more information.
In episode 25 of the UK Travel Planning Podcast, I chat with friends Liz Attwood and Melinda Ecker who, with their respective husbands, Kent and Ken, planned a trip to revisit the destinations they had enjoyed during a coach tour around England together in 2019.
While the coach tour had provided them with an introduction to many places they just knew they had to return for further exploration and to spend a few days in their favourite destinations. And in September 2022 the 2 couples did just that travelling around England by train.
In this episode you will hear
- How Liz and Melinda planned their trip
- The destinations they chose to revisit including London, the Cotswolds, Bath, St Ives and York plus highlights of their itinerary
- Accommodation options they recommend
- Their experiences of train travel in the UK and using BritRail Passes
- Favourite cafes and restaurants along the way
- Favourite tours and day excursions
- How they travelled around England for 3 weeks with only carry-on
- Their top tip for anyone planning a trip to the UK
Click the blue button below to listen:
Episode 25 – Show Notes
Revisiting favourite destinations in England with Liz Attwood and Melinda Ecker
Topics covered in this episode include:
- The 2 couples had previously visited England on a coach trip in 2019 but felt they did not have enough time to explore some of the destinations so they decided to revisit in 2022 and travel England by train
- How Liz planned the trip with Melinda and the help of our itinerary consultation service, UK Train Travel ebook and private Facebook group.
- The benefit of Liz booked all their train seats on arrival in London at Paddington Station.
- The various accommodation options the couples chose including hotels, B&Bs, VRBO and Airbnb.
- How Liz shipped purchases back to the US from Fortnum and Mason
- Favourite cafes and restaurants in the various places they visited
- How the couples managed with only carry-on luggage for their 3 week trip
- The importance of wearing comfortable clothes and shoes. Particularly shoes!
Places mentioned in this episode include
- London >> Needs no introduction! The UK capital! Read more about planning your trip to London.
- Moreton in Marsh >> Cotswolds market town easy to reach by train from Oxford.
- Glastonbury >> Town located in Somerset famous for the Glastonbury festival held there most years.
- Salisbury >> Famous Cathedral city located near Stonehenge in Wiltshire.
- Stratford upon Avon >> Famous for being the home of William Shakespeare.
- Bourton on the Water >> Popular Cotswolds village
- St Ives >> Seaside town located in Cornwall
- Fortnum and Mason >> Luxury London department store
- Harry Potter Studios >> An easy day trip from London by tour or train
- Hampton Court Palace >> Former home and palace of Tudor King Henry VIII
- Oxford >> Famous University city
- Cambridge >> Famous University city and rival to Oxford
- Bath >> UNESCO World Heritage City
- York >> Historic city located in northern England famous for its Minster and Viking history.
- York Minster >> Magnificent cathedral located in the heart of York
- Castle Howard >> Popular day trip destination from York
- Minack Theatre >> Open-air theatre located in Cornwall
- St Michael’s Mount >> Tidal island located in Cornwall
- Castle Howard >> Historic house and gardens located near York
- Eateries – cafes and restaurants
- Andy’s Taxi Service in Moreton in Marsh
- Cotswolds Tours >> with Victoria of Cotswold Teacup Tours
- Cornwall Tours >> with Meneage Tours
- London theatre >> Shows Six and Mousetrap
- York Ghost tour >>
⭐️ A PDF transcript of this episode is available to download here.
Kent enjoying a coffee! At Sea of Coffee – St Ives
Melinda, Ken, Liz and Kent in Oxford
Melinda and Liz
Subscribe and review
If you have found our Podcast helpful please leave us a review! We really appreciate your support and it will help make our podcast visible to a greater audience.
Please subscribe so you don’t miss any future episodes!
🇬🇧 Plan your trip to the UK 🇬🇧
We are here to help you plan your trip to the UK – wherever you are heading in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland. Our step by step guide to planning your trip and our itinerary planning challenge are great places to start. Join our free UK and London Travel Planning group on Facebook and chat with other travellers planning (or recently returned) from the UK.
Subscribe and receive our monthly news with travel tips and special offers plus podcast updates. Click here to subscribe!