This post may contain compensated links. Please refer to my disclosure here for more information.
In episode 43 of the UK Travel Planning Podcast, Tracy and Doug Collins, Founders of UK Travel Planning, cover the top 15 questions they get asked about travelling by train in the UK.
Click the blue button below to listen:
This episode of the UK Travel Planning Podcast is sponsored by Surfshark VPN.
Click this link to get up to 83% off your Surfshark purchase + two months for free with selected Surfshark plans
Episode 43 – Show Notes
Unravelling the Mysteries of Train Travel in the UK | 15 Frequently Asked Questions
In this episode, you will learn:
- How do I get from Heathrow Airport by train to Kings Cross railway station?
- How much time do I need to allow from landing at Heathrow airport to booking a train from Kings Cross to Edinburgh?
- How soon in advance do I need to buy train tickets?
- What is the difference between the Advance and Anytime train tickets?
- What websites are best to buy train tickets on?
- Are train tickets refundable?
- Do I have to have a seat reservation or can I just turn up for a train? Can you reserve specific seats on a train?
- Do train tickets sell out?
- Is a Britrail or the Global Eurail train pass worth it and how do I reserve seats if I have a pass?
- What are split train tickets?
- What are the National Railcards?
- What age does a child fare become an adult fare?
- How much luggage can I take on board a train?
- Do you have any recommended UK Rail itineraries?
- Do you have any information about the Eurostar service and the Caledonian sleeper?
Places mentioned in this episode include
- Caledonian Sleeper – an overnight sleeper train that operates between London and Scotland.
- National Rail Enquiries – Find train information and plan your journeys.
- Eurostar – the train that runs between London and Paris through the Channel Tunnel.
⭐️ A PDF transcript of this episode is available to download here
We also have some useful planning resources on this website for UK Train Travel
- Get the Guide to UK Train Travel ebook
Related podcast episodes
- Episode # 2 – Introduction to travelling the UK by train
- Episode # 5 – Guide to the Caledonian Sleeper
- Episode # 11 – How to get around the UK (all transportation options)
- Episode # 26 – London to Edinburgh by train
- Episode # 40 – London to Paris on the Eurostar
Subscribe and review
If you have found our Podcast helpful please leave us a review! We really appreciate your support and it will help make our podcast visible to a greater audience.
Please subscribe so you don’t miss any future episodes!
🇬🇧 Plan your trip to the UK 🇬🇧
We are here to help you plan your trip to the UK – wherever you are heading in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland. Our step by step guide to planning your trip and our itinerary planning challenge are great places to start. Join our free UK and London Travel Planning group on Facebook and chat with other travellers planning (or recently returned) from the UK.
Subscribe and receive our monthly news with travel tips and special offers plus podcast updates. Click here to subscribe!