This post may contain compensated links. Please refer to my disclosure here for more information.
In episode 58 of the UK Travel Planning Podcast Tracy and Doug discuss everything you need to know about visiting the beautiful city of Edinburgh.
From recommended accommodations and transportation options to must-see attractions and tips for planning your itinerary we have you covered.
So whether you’re a first-time visitor or looking to revisit this enchanting city you will discover valuable insights to make your trip to Edinburgh unforgettable!
Click the blue button below to listen:
This episode of the UK Travel Planning Podcast is sponsored by Surfshark VPN.
Click this link to get up to 83% off your Surfshark purchase + two months for free with selected Surfshark plans
Episode 58 – Show Notes
Edinburgh Travel 101: Essential Tips for First-Time Visitors
Topics covered in this episode include:
- Highlighting Edinburgh’s status as the capital of Scotland, known for its beauty and rich history.
- Recommendations for booking accommodations in advance, particularly at B&Bs or guest houses like the Elder York guest house, known for its great location and value for money.
- Tips for easy travelling around Scotland with good public transport connections in Edinburgh.
- Packing advice with layers due to the variable weather in Edinburgh.
- Highlighting fantastic shops in the city for shopping.
- Mentioning the correct pronunciation of “Edinburgh” with an “h” at the end.
- Emphasizing the importance of booking accommodations, tickets, and tours in advance when planning a trip to Edinburgh.
- Suggesting delicious food options in Edinburgh like “Makars Mash Bar” and sampling Scottish drinks such as whiskey, gin, and Iron Brew.
- Sharing positive experiences on guided tours in Edinburgh, including Edinburgh Castle and historic Edinburgh tours on the Royal Mile, along with personal experiences on a vaults tour and the desire to explore the rest of Scotland after visiting Edinburgh.
- Advice not to over-plan and to allow for free time – to explore Edinburgh at your own pace and discover hidden gems.
- The importance of respecting Scottish identity and not calling Scottish people English.
- Tips on booking ahead, choosing accommodations, and getting around Edinburgh.
Places mentioned in this episode include:
- Makars Mash Bar >> Our favourite place to eat in Edinburgh (order the haggis neeps and tatties)
- Elder York Guest House >> Our favourite guest house in Edinburgh. Family run by Scots – Murray and his Dad make the best Scottish breakfast!)
- Greyfriars Bobby >> Greyfriars Bobby is a heartwarming statue located near Greyfriars Kirkyard in Edinburgh, commemorating the loyal Skye Terrier who famously guarded his owner’s grave for 14 years.
- Arthur’s Seat >> Offering breathtaking panoramic views of Edinburgh, Arthur’s Seat is an ancient dormant volcano that sits proudly in Holyrood Park, attracting hikers and nature enthusiasts alike.
- The Royal Mile >> The bustling and historic heart of Edinburgh’s Old Town, The Royal Mile is a vibrant thoroughfare lined with charming shops, eateries, and iconic landmarks such as Edinburgh Castle and St Giles’ Cathedral.
- Botanic Gardens >> The Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh is a serene oasis of lush greenery and diverse plant species, providing a tranquil escape from the city’s hustle and bustle.
- Princes Street >> Princes Street is one of Edinburgh’s main thoroughfares, renowned for its splendid shopping opportunities and picturesque views of Edinburgh Castle and the scenic Princes Street Gardens.
Recommended tours of Edinburgh
Click here to download a PDF Transcript of Episode 58
Useful resources & related podcast episodes
Subscribe and review
If you have found our Podcast helpful please leave us a review! We really appreciate your support and it will help make our podcast visible to a greater audience.
Please subscribe so you don’t miss any future episodes!
🇬🇧 Plan your trip to the UK 🇬🇧
We are here to help you plan your trip to the UK – wherever you are heading in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland. Our step by step guide to planning your trip and our itinerary planning challenge are great places to start. Join our free UK and London Travel Planning group on Facebook and chat with other travellers planning (or recently returned) from the UK.
Subscribe and receive our monthly news with travel tips and special offers plus podcast updates. Click here to subscribe!