In episode 18 of the UK Travel Planning podcast, I chat with Rob Bruns who with his wife and son spent 4 weeks exploring the UK in June 2022. Rob shares information about how he planned the trip (including the various resources) plus his process of putting together the itinerary which was suitable not only for himself and his wife but also their (at the time) 11 year old son.
He also gives an overview of their 4 week itinerary including the various destinations they visited, highlights of the trip plus accommodation options, favourite restaurants and more.
Rob shares how he managed driving in the UK and how he prepared for this experience (spoiler alert – he really enjoyed driving on the other side of the road!) with the help of Tripiamo.
Other topics covered in this episode include packing for a 4 week trip, enjoying the British tradition of afternoon tea and his tips for others planning a trip to the UK.
Click the blue button below to listen:
Episode 18 – Show Notes
The Bruns family trip around the UK
Topics covered in this episode include:
- How Rob planned their trip to the UK including the various resources and systems he used to keep track of the itinerary as it developed
- How Rob managed the itinerary so that it catered for every member of the family
- How the Bruns family got around England and Scotland – including how Rob prepared to drive in the UK and how he coped with rail strikes which impacted some of their plans
- The different accommodation options Rob chose plus his favourites
- How Rob prepared for driving in the UK with the help of Tripiamo – an online resource designed to help North Americans prepare for the experience in driving in the UK .
- Highlights of the trip – both destinations and experiences
- Their favourite restaurants and British foods they tried along the way
- How the Bruns family planned and managed laundry stops during the trip
- How the family packed for their trip
- What surprised Rob about the trip
- His top tip for anyone planning to visit the UK for the first time
Places mentioned in episode 18 include
- York >> Historic city famous for Roman and Viking legacies and Minster.
- Yorkshire towns and villages Rob and family visited when driving from York to Whitby included
- Bettys Tea Rooms >> Popular tea rooms located in York and Harrogate
- Whitby >> Yorkshire seaside town with connections to Dracula.
- The Magpie >> Famous fish and chip restaurant in Whitby
- Durham >> Historic university city in northern England
- Barter Books >> Famous Second-hand bookstore located in an old Victorian train station in the town of Alnwick.
- Alnwick Castle >> One of many beautiful castles to explore in Northumberland. Used for some scenes of Harry Potter.
- The Jacobite >> Famous steam train (associated with Harry Potter) which travels from Fort William to Mallaig over the Glenfinnan Viaduct.
- Edinburgh >> Scottish capital
- Fort William >> Scottish town located at the foot of Ben Nevis.
- Mallaig >> Scottish port located in Lochaber. The ferry to the Isle of Skye leaves from here.
- Glen Coe >> A beautiful valley in the Scottish Highlands with a tragic history. Popular for outdoor sports.
- Baslow >> Village in the Derbyshire Peak District
- Bakewell >> A market town famous for the Bakewell Tart
- The Cotswolds >> Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty full of quaint villages including Bourton on the Water, Lower Slaughter and Bibury.
Notes from Rob
- The Italian restaurant in Baslow is called Il Lupo. We had the pizza and the pasta two nights in a row and loved it. The guys running it were fabulous. Nice patio to eat out on too.
- We stayed in the Wheelhouse at Holme Grange Farm in Galphay: Holme Grange Farm – Home Great homemade breakfast and farm animals! Holme Grange Farm – Home
- Traquair House was the place in Scotland near the border. Very old and if you like old, historic stuff, it was cool. They had a hedge maze and pigs which were big hits with Beckett.
- This was our Airbnb in Edinburgh: It had a free parking spot (big if you are driving!) and was right near the bus stop and Coop store for food/shopping. 🙂Click for more info
- Our Airbnb in Ft William: Very cute and great surroundings! We wish we could’ve stayed another night or two! Host fantastic. Click for more info
- Our Vrbo in Baslow: Awesome! Free (but tight) parking, washing machine, nice little back courtyard, low ceilings/beams and steep steps, but great location near tiny village green, ice cream and, of course, yummy Italian restaurant! Click here for more info
- Our Vrbo in Bourton on the Water: Historic great cottage! Free parking spot. Walking distance into village. Click here for more info
- Our Vrbo in Camden, London: We loved the location but it’s probably not for everyone. Walking distance to overground and underground stations, Sainsbury’s and the canal walk to Camden Market. We stayed for almost a week and loved it. Also washer and dryer!!!! \
- There was an underground bar (Literally the entrance was on the sidewalk and it disappeared into the sidewalk) just steps from the apartment. We wanted to try, but we were so exhausted each night by the end of the trip.
- No longer listed
- Where we “own” our plots of land: Dunans Castle: https://scottishlaird.co.uk/ I believe you can book a tour and still schedule tea/lunch without “owning” a plot.
This website is packed full of useful resources to help you to plan your trip including
Subscribe and review
If you have found our Podcast helpful please leave us a review! We really appreciate your support and it will help make our podcast visible to a greater audience.
Please subscribe so you don’t miss any future episodes!
🇬🇧 Plan your trip to the UK 🇬🇧
We are here to help you plan your trip to the UK – wherever you are heading in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland. Our step-by-step guide to planning your trip and our itinerary planning challenge are great places to start. Join our free UK and London Travel Planning group on Facebook and chat with other travellers planning (or recently returned) from the UK.
Subscribe and receive our monthly news with travel tips and special offers plus podcast updates. Click here to subscribe!